Book Highlight - "Wither" by Lauren DeStefano♥



It was set in the future, a very vague glimpse of what life is to become with our "great  - grandchildren" somehow, I felt eerie while reading it, because what if life in the future would really be like this? anyhow moving on.

In our time, Scientists have created the cure to cancer and has now used the formula to citizens, although the experiment backfired, now everyone's lifespan has been cut short in almost half. The perfect breed called the "First Generation" can live until they are old while the "New Generation" will only last until their 20's particularly 20yrs old for females and 25yrs old for males. Rhyne is a part of the "New Generation", she's 16yrs old and somehow it is the right age to marry, but not for her. In these dark times no one is safe, she is kidnapped and now forced to marry and bear a child from a man she doesn't know and love.

I liked the character of Rhyne, she was headstrong and wont let anyone step all over her, she was the kind of heroine that's "likeable" unlike most heroines nowadays in books. overall I liked the story, I just wish it would have been Gabrielle that made a way for them to escape the mansion, and besides Jenna (one of her sister wives) didn't have to die. I mean, the hero should practically scream "HERO" but not some guy who's waiting for his girlfriend to rescue her.


I have to say this book was both frightening and quite disturbing all at the same time, but then again I found it a good story. The book reminded me of the movie called "Children of Men". I was forlorn while reading the book because what if this would really happen someday? what would happen to the world? but then again. I'm already 22 so I've reached the span of the 20yr old peak, haha. I loved the writing style, It was straightforward and not full of metaphors and "enchantments" within the book, i was a good read.


I was amazed with the development of the book and I can't wait for the next one :)

Comments

FOLLOW @SPELLBOUND_ALY ON INSTAGRAM